Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Emily's Condition - Chapter Forty Four

My body stops burning and jerking. I go still, and I'm in my own thoughts, trying to contain the pain that just ripped me apart. 
I'm drawn to the warm hands that are on mine. It's Dimitri, he's begging me to come back to him. He sounds so worried and scared. "Emily, if you can hear me please, please don't leave me. You are my world, don't you leave me now," he says as he strokes my hand. 
I open my eyes and shift my body toward him. He jumps up in a panic. 
"Hey you," he says with a sad smile on his face. Oh, his lovely face. I must have scared him to death. "Welcome back, you scared the life out of us all," he says.
"I don't know what happened. What's wrong with me? Why do I feel so strange?" I ask. He leans over and strokes my hair. "I lost control and almost killed you. I do not know exactly what happened when I was feeding off you. I remember losing control and then we got blown apart by force. When I woke up, you were laying across the room unconscious. Your wings disappeared and I was normal again," he says with a sadness in his voice. 
"My wings are gone," I say with pure horror in my voice. Am I going to die?" I choke out. 
"I'm going to go and find the answers. I think I know where to look and who to go see, but you have to be strong for me and don't die on me. You must rest, don't do anything that would cause you to stress or to lose strength doing. You are to lie in this bed and not move a muscle. Jen is here, and she's going to stay with you while me and Chris go find the answers we need to fix your condition," he explains. 
He leans down and kisses me. Oh, his lips are soft and warm, it warms my soul. 
I pull him to me and crush his lips harder on me. 
"Don't go, don't leave me. I'm scared," I plead as he gets up. I grab at him and try to pull him back. "Emily, I have to go. This is the only way I will find a way to save your life. You are not well, and it could be only a matter of time before you could die. I got to do this. I did this to you, and I will find a way to make it right," he says with a sad smile. "Please hurry back. I will do what you say and do my best to not get any sicker. I love you," I say. "I love you too," he says and then leaves me. 
Hours pass into days, and I have become really weak. Jen has been by my side to keep me comfortable and to make sure I don't move a muscle.
All of a sudden, I'm hit with a knot in my stomach that pulls tight, and I'm about ready to throw up everywhere. I leap off the bed and out the door leaving Jen confused and running after me. 
I barely make it to the bathroom before all the contents of my stomach come up. I fall to my knees in front of the commode. I puke until I start to dry heave.
I finish, and a sheet of sweat gathers across my skin. I lean against the wall for support when Jen walks over to me. "Emily, are you ok?" she asks as she kneels in front of me. I look up and nod. 
She pulls me up off the floor and holds me for support. My knees are weak, and my body hurts. "Let me help you to your room. You need to rest," she orders. 
When we get to the room, I get dressed to try to feel normal. When I sit on the bed a pain that shoots across my belly. "What's wrong?" Jen asks. I grab at my side and my stomach. "I'm not sure." Jen reaches for me and stops. "Do you think you could be pregnant?" she asks. "That's impossible, Dimitri is a Nightwalker, and I haven't been with anyone else in a long time," I reply.
"It's probably side effects to what is going on with you. Your body is in an uproar. It's hard to tell what will happen next, all you can do is relax till Dimitri gets back with some answers or a cure," she says.
"I hope they come soon, my body feels like it's being torn apart," I say as I try to readjust myself on the bed. "Rest, I'll be right here if you need anything," Jen tells me. 
I lay down and drift off to sleep. 
Someone comes in, and it stirs me from my sleep. I look up and see what almost looks like a younger Dimitri. It must be his brother that I was going to meet at some point. 
"You must be Jen, and you must be Emily," he says as he looks in my direction. "Dimitri called and wanted me to be here to look after the both of you while they went to find Nolan. Dimitri has a plan and a brilliant one at that. I just hope they can find that wizard in time," he says. 
"What do you mean by the plan?" I ask. "I'm sure you have heard the legends of how your people started. The gift of light. Well, the wizard that did that spell was a guy named Nolan. He is from our family. He married Annabell's daughter that had the curse too," he says. "Wait, wouldn't he be dead by now," Jen asks. "Well, he would have if his wife had not turned him. She was born also cursed. So not only is he like a Nightwalker, but he's a wizard too. Dimitri's plan is to find him so he can redo the spell he on Emily that he originally did for her ancestor," Daniel explains. Dimitri is hoping that Nolan can do the same thing as he did with the baby in hopes that it will give your light back," he explains. 
They have brought a private doctor in, and they are now pumping me full of fluid. I can't keep anything down and no longer have the strength to run to the bathroom, so Jen has set up a bucket next to the bed. She brings me regular meals, but now I find them repulsive. I can't even bring myself to eat anything. 
The days have been going by, and I don't know how much longer I can hang on. My body is so weak, and I'm exhausted even when I have not moved from this spot. I fear my end is coming soon. I'm not sure if I will even get to see Dimitri again to say goodbye. 
I can no longer keep my eyes open, and all I do anymore is sleep. 
"She's getting worse. I can't get her to eat or drink anything. When she does, it comes right back up. She's so pale with dark circles under eyes and cheeks. Please tell me you have some kind of news," Jen says in a whisper tone, trying not to worry me, no doubt.
"She doesn't look good. When is the last time she was awake, or the doctor checked on her?" Daniel asks. "He was in here earlier. She sleeps for the most part of the days and the rest is throwing up. She's been asleep for a while now," Jen says. 
"What are we going to do?" Jen asks. Can you call them and see if they are getting close? We need to give her some hope," she says. "I'll see if they are getting closer to being here. The last time I talked to Dimitri was yesterday, and they had found Nolan, and it sounded hopeful that they would be able to do the spell. They have to find the stuff that was in the dust that he used. I will call him and see if they are getting closer," he says as he pulls his phone out of his pocket. 
"Hey, it's me, how close are you guys?" he asks. "Well, you better hurry because she's not doing well. She's deteriorating fast, I don't know how much time she's got left," he says. I then can hear Dimitri's voice on the other end in a panic. He's saying stuff in a fast tone, and I can't make out what he's saying. 
"Ok, I will get that ready and will see you soon," he says as he slides his phone back into his pocket. 
"They found what they need, they are on their way. They should all get here by tomorrow morning," he says. "Let's just hope she can hang on till then," Jen says. 
Tomorrow... he will be here tomorrow. I must hang on till tomorrow. I keep repeating to myself. That was the last thing I remembered before I drifted off. 




No comments:

Post a Comment